Monday, April 8, 2013

Summer Break? What's That?

Earn as much as I can.

That's one of my goals this year. It's ranked twelfth out of my thirteen things-I-should-do for 2013. By earning as much meant extra work so I'll get extra pay. I should have heeded that adage which says that I should be careful with what I ask for because it might come true.

I was hoping that this months of April and May, I'll be staying at home and just laze around, do some serious writing, and pursue other hobbies. But, I was invited to teach summer class because no one else will take the load. My class is from 10:30 AM-5:30 PM with a one hour break in between. I'm teaching Children's Literature which is a first-time class for me, so no there are no powerpoint presentations that I could just rehash.  That means I'm spending a lot of time making my slides and also studying my lessons.

My weekend also isn't free. My colleague asked me to help her teach the online Long Distance class which will be a three-hour session every Saturday afternoon. Sure, I'll just spend three hours in front of the computer but my lesson preparation is going to be longer than three hours. I know it's going to eat much of my time.

Then, next month I'll be handling a two-week teaching class in Calinog campus which is again another preparation for me.

On top of that, I have my online night classes every weeknights. I also have action researches to edit.

I wonder why I'm doing this to myself. I'm not even financially supporting or helping anyone. It's just me, myself, and I. Really, I need more rest than money. The problem with me is that I can't seem to say no when someone asks me to teach this or that.

I guess, I'll just have to wait for another summer before I can do serious writing and do my other hobbies.

Who says teachers are lucky because they have summer breaks?!

No comments:

Post a Comment