Friday, April 27, 2012

I Heart Banana Heart

Well, I'm not sure if I still heart banana heart after my kitchen episode this morning. I wanted to make a vegetarian patty out of it, but it didn't turn out the way I expected it. It became a banana heart omelet instead.

My grandmother used to make banana heart patties when I was a kid. I thought eggs, a few chopped vegetables, and my good 'ole memory were all I need in making them this morning. I recalled how my grandmother easily made golden brown patties out of banana heart with tomatoes, carrots, onions, and potatoes. It was all a fine and dandy job.

I thought it was. The first thing that confused me was how I would cut the heart. The next thing was whether I'd include the tiny banana fruits in my patty. I decided to forego the tiny fruits and focus on the upper part. After chopping it into tiny pieces, I had conflicting thoughts whether I'd squeeze them just like what my grandmother did. Then I thought perhaps it's only when you make ensalada that you squeeze 'em so I moved on to beating the eggs. After mixing the chopped vegetables with the beaten eggs, I carefully put them in the pan, and of course, forming them into little patties.

Alas, my patties were all crumbly. They wouldn't stay together. I got frustrated so I just fried everything. What turned out was crumbly omelet. I ate it for breakfast anyway. Looks like I have a lot to learn. According to this blog:  http://www.myfilipinokitchen.com/how-to-prepare-or-cook-banana-hearts-for-your-filipino-recipes/ I have to boil the heart first before anything else.

I learned never to trust my memory: :) I miss my grandmother's banana heart patties.

No comments:

Post a Comment