Friday, May 14, 2010

Hooray for Summer Class!

I taught Educ 212 to a group of math and special education majors for 18 days. Educ 212’s course title is “The Teaching Profession.” I was quite excited when I was asked to handle the merged class. I was, however, surprised with their number. All 72 of them! It was my first time to handle such a big class but it’s a good thing I was given the merged classroom. The first day we had our class in the well-equipped classroom, I told my students that we’re using an ideal classroom for college students. After all, it’s spacious, air-conditioned, multimedia-ready, and there’s a microphone! Everyday before we start our class, I’d play inspiring music videos. They would usually sing along. It was a really nice way to start our class which would start at 7:30 in the morning.

Since it was a three hour class, I would give a 10-minute break after an hour and a half. Most of the students were attentive that after mid-term, most of them got a grade of 2.0 and up. Two students even got a flat 1.0.

When my co-teacher lent me the book for the class, she said, “Good luck! It’s a boring subject.” When I looked at the content of the book, I immediately thought of ways to make the class more interesting. Who wouldn’t be bored with the laws, the theories, and the philosophies? My sophomore students definitely would. During the final period, I invited speakers for 4 sessions. I invited a lawyer who especially talked about the laws. I also asked my sister to share her public school teaching experiences. It was good to see my students interacting and asking questions with the speakers. According to their journals (I required them to keep one), they were thankful for the speakers’ presence.

I think 18 days was too short for me to share everything that I’ve learned about teaching. But then again, I always tell them that what I teach will be just 50% useful when they’re already in the classroom. The rest of the 50% they’ll just have to learn from actual teaching.
I’ll never forget this summer. After all, it was my first time to handle “The Teaching Profession” and it definitely wasn’t boring!


BSED Math major boys and girls


BSPED students






Portraying what Jewish Education and Culture are all about






Ruthell Moreno



Gabriel Felix Umadhay


Indian Education and Culture



Japanese or Chinese? I forgot...



Wow, they all seem attentive

Sooo attentive?


Candy, my best buddy giving a talk about her Korea Experience.

I invited this guy over to give a talk but I forgot his name.




3 comments:

  1. ahaii.. whoah.. love it..
    hope ma teacher ka pa namun liwat ma'am.. hmmp.. literature.. hakhak..
    sang summer q gd na feel ang pagka studyante.. to the max nag tuon kag effort. hehe

    an effective teacher,.. the best..
    muahhh.. love you ma'am.. ;)

    jhovz...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jhovel. I really enjoyed our summer class. I also appreciate all your kind words.

    See you around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. pssshh.. pa buot effect lng nahhh aqn na pangwakal.. ehehehe..

    tani d ka matak'an sakun ma'am.. hehehe
    super kulit q nga dan.. hehehe

    amu na gd ni gru kadaku sang west na once a week lng ta gakitaay..

    toinks.. bleehhh.. :)

    ReplyDelete