Friday, April 1, 2011

Playing Cat and Mouse

My loyalty to the university was questioned today.

A week ago I was asked by three colleagues whether I have plans of teaching abroad. Apparently, somebody (an older co-teacher, I presume) has been spreading a really nasty rumor that the reason I went to Hong Kong during Christmas break was that I applied for a job there. I laughed it off because after all, I thought it's just a harmless gossip.

I was alarmed, however, when the dean really confronted me with it. I didn't know it's going to be such a hot issue because If I will indeed transfer somewhere else they can just easily hire another teacher.

Then it hit me. My papers were due for promotion. Currently, there are 32 vacant plantilla in the university. I was recommended by the late dean (God bless his soul) for a permanent position. The new dean is perhaps doubtful that if she approves of the recommendation it's going to be a waste of time since I'm going somewhere else anyway. I don't feel threatened in any way but I feel like strangling whoever started the tall tale.

That's what a nasty rumor can do to you.

Curses to all gossipmongers in the world!

1 comment: