Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The Cardboard Collective

You know what they say about other people's trash being somebody else's treasure? That's what cardboard boxes are for us - treasures. This past month has seen me practically scavenging for new and sturdy boxes around our block (we never run out of them). The idea came after we disposed our couch which was falling apart. After we got rid of it, the living room became so wide and empty; I asked around social media groups I am joining in for suggestions on what I could use to fill up the space. I was thinking that it should be cheap, child-friendly, and can be DIY'd. I thought, silly me... I actually already answered my suggestions. Why not use cardboard boxes? The inspiration came to me after I saw a photo of an oven made out of cardboard. I have yet to find a box that will be perfect for the oven, so for the meantime, I was able to make these:

A puppet stage


I added some cut-outs to make the stage look "theater-y"

A tent

I added buntings and grasses to make the tent look festive and outdoors-y. 
I also added butterflies and fireflies (not in photo though).

A basketball hoop

Shoot that ball!

A sketchbook

I used pipe cleaners to bind it.

A matchbox car tunnel

A highway map and a tunnel

"clothes"

Little one loves doodling on the clothes as his "design" and hang them to dry.


Blue washing machine

A car

A pocket chart and a clock

Butterfly wings

Fairy wings

A doodle mat

A body chart (Tip: Let your child lie down and trace the outline of his body.)


Oven


I got a brand new oven, so I might as well make pizza.


Tissue roll faces with long hair for my little barber


A store for my budding entrepreneurs


A flying bus or a firetruck or whatever Captain Thirdy fancies


Candy house front view


 
Candy house side view

I love the many things that I can do with these boxes. Armed with a cutter, I can cut and slash them and turn them into little playthings for my children. What is nice is they get involved in making these creations, too. And the best part is I get no hard feelings when they get thrown away because they cost nothing.

My little fairy painting on her fairy wings

My car enthusiast painting his car

I used the candy house as a prop for Bam's 2nd birthday photoshoot.

My cardboard fantasy is to build a cardboard castle for them. It just goes on saying that what is important is not what is inside the box but what you can make out of the box!







No comments:

Post a Comment