Thursday, March 29, 2018

The No-Dessert Diet


My love for words and my love for sweets were fused into one through our wedding cake.

For starters, lactating women are not encouraged to go on a diet. But it's also because of breastfeeding that the no-dessert diet came into fruition (no pun intended). I tried to limit my sugar intake while I was pregnant with Bambam because my OB said as I should keep my second baby's  birth weight at 2.8 kg (Thirdy's birth weight) and below. Anything higher than that might give me a difficult delivery. I didn't want a big baby (the bigger baby, the more painful the delivery), so I took her advice seriously. I told myself just I'll make up to my sweet tooth after giving birth. So after my delivery, I dove into sweet treats without any limit. Then, Bambam started making weird sleeping sounds 3 days after birth. The pedia said it could be gas and acid caused by my diet, so I should cut back on eating chocolates because I am exclusively breastfeeding.

I would do anything for my daughter, so I stopped eating chocolates. But I was still into cakes and candies and halo-halo and all sorts of desserts. Then, two weeks ago, my sister-in-law celebrated her birthday. I ate some chocolate cake, and it left such a lingering saccharinous taste in my mouth even with several gulps of water. It made me want to vomit. That's when I decided not to eat desserts for awhile. What drove me to be firm was what our family friend said who died recently because of ovarian cancer. She said we have to cut back on sugar because it causes cancer.

So, I tried to steer clear of anything sweet for a week as an experiment. This was no easy feat because my taste buds have always had strong inclination for sugary treats. I have a separate stomach just for desserts. I usually head to the dessert table first during parties. I would eat a slice of cake, lick some ice cream, splash at the chocolate fountain, and I'm good to go.

But you know what? After a week of not eating anything sugar-coated, my tongue felt clean. You know that satisfying and wonderful feeling you have in your mouth after you have brushed your teeth? Yes, it felt that way minus the minty aftertaste. So, I decided to extend the no-dessert diet until maybe I give in. Another thing I noticed was that I slept better and longer, too. I think it helped that Bam's already on her second month and she now has longer sleeping hours at night. Her weird sleeping noise has also toned down a bit. One thing's for sure, I feel that because I am more well-rested, I now have more energy to take care of my children during daytime.

I'll almost be finishing my second week of no-dessert diet, and I am hoping that I could extend it for a month just to see the effect on my body. Of course, I still have my sugar fix but I only get it from fruits. Here's an article about the benefits of limiting one's sugar intake:
https://www.prevention.com/health/what-happens-when-you-stop-eating-sugar

I hope someday, I could also try the no-potato chips diet or the no-fastfood diet (I love my Jollibee). For now, let's see if I could stick with the no-dessert diet for a month. Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment