Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Memories of Film Crit

Memory # 1

I remember reading Antonio Sison's  review of the Italian film A Beautiful Life in the Catholic magazine, Kerygma. I was in High School then. I was impressed with the way he wrote it that I also looked for the movie. Sadly, I managed to have a copy but in Italian - it didn't have any subtitles. But I did understand the movie's plot. I supposed reading that article was my introduction to film criticism and when I started becoming interested in this field, I looked up Antonio Sison's name and I'm glad that his other film reviews are available online.

Memory # 2

I watched the movie the Amazing Spiderman with a friend in college, and I remember cringing at the movie's plot and the actors' acting chops. I told myself I was going write something about the movie but it never materialized.

Memory # 3

I remember watching Toy Story 3 in 2013 and ended up crying at the ending that I started writing about it. I still didn't know how I was going to go about the essay that I ended up not finishing the whole thing.

So here I am as a film critic wannabe. Everytime  think about those memories, I wonder why writing about films never occurred to me right away. After years of wondering what I was going to write about, I recently just heard my calling. The skies didn't open and no chorus of angels came out. It just hit me one day that I have a knack for criticism. I could write book reviews but I can't finish a book in one sitting alone because I now have a demanding baby, but with a movie, you can give me 3 hours and I'll be done with the movie and THE review.

I am reading other film critics' work notably Roger Ebert and his correspondents, so I could improve my craft. But man, if there's a so-called room for improvement, mine would be as big as a mansion's.


No comments:

Post a Comment