Monday, May 17, 2010

Of Hatred and Death

While studying in a Catholic school as a high school student, I really hated our priest director. No, abhorred is a better word. He was a short and stocky man, bespectacled and ridiculously effeminate. What I hated about him was that he has the ability to make me feel guilty with only a look and well, he embarrassed me several times. Everytime I see him, I would curse him in my head, I still did even when I was already a high school teacher myself.

I can't curse him anymore since I won't be seeing him around here. He just died. I just knew about it yesterday when the priest in the mass I attended mentioned, "And let us all pray for the repose of the soul of Rev. Fr. __________." I was in disbelief for awhile. Here was the priest whom I hated so much, dead, and I was praying for him!

I prayed that he'll forgive me. At that moment, I also prayed for the people who have hurt me in my lifetime.

I realized right there and then that there's no point in hating somebody while we're still alive, after all, our enemies are all going to die. We're all going to die! What's the use of that hatred? The question, however, is who will go first? I or my enemies? If I go first and I'll go to heaven, I'll definitely pray for them.

From this point onward, I refuse to hold grudges and hate somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment