Friday, December 28, 2018

Done with Nursery One!


I would have wanted to homeschool my little boy during his pre-school years, but when I gave birth to our second child January of this year I knew I just had to give up that idea. A toddler and a newborn were just too much for me to handle, so we decided to enroll him in a pre-school instead. We were staying in Iloilo City then, and the closest preschool to our apartment was the Iloilo Montessori School. Coincidentally, this was the same pre-school my husband attended when he was in Kindergarten.

Can you spot my Dada?

Dada dancing at Iloilo Montessori School some 30 years ago

Thirdy was enrolled in the one-month summer program but he was only able to attend for 3 weeks because we had to fly back to Singapore for some appointments. Thus, he was not able to join the culminating activity of the summer class. 

Ocular visit at Iloilo Montessori School with Maam Ditas and Dangdang

Bambam was just 2 months then

I sat with him during his first day. Because I was there, he actively joined in the activities. He seemed confident in imitating his teachers, but he still did not want to let me go. During the succeeding days, he would tearfully hug me everytime I would hand him over to his teachers. After the first week, he was already happy to join in the class. He really liked his Teachers Ms. Noreen and Ms. Hera.

Snack time on my first day of summer class at Iloilo Montessori School

Ms. Hera and Ms. Noreen, my IMS summer class teachers

We enrolled him again during the school opening with the plan of letting him finish the school year. But this was cut short because we had to fly back to Singapore as Bambam's dependent pass was approved, which meant we could all stay together as a family in SG. So, we had to say goodbye to IMS again. 

Ms. Tricia, Ms. Joyce, and Ms. Hera, my IMS June-July teachers

The perennial blue line of IMS

We were back in Singapore by July, but since we did a bit of travelling, we were only able to enroll Thirdy last August. It took us some time to find a school for him as most of the early childhood institutions near our place are childcare centers, which means they do not cater to 2-3 hour classes. We were blessed to have found Starland when we met a nanny at the playground who informed us that her ward studies in this school. What is nice is that it is just about a 10-minute walk from our block. Thirdy officially became a Nursery 1 pupil of Starland last August 16. 

Birthday celebrations in school 

Just another day in school

 
Children's Day 

 
Yakult Factory Tour


Deepavali/Diwali Celebration (India's Festival of Lights)

 
                                      With a Chinese boy                                         With an Indian girl                                      With a Malaysian girl

Graduation Concert

It's a small world, after all!


You are my sunshine!

Medley with other grade levels

Schoolyear in Singapore begins in January and ends in December. Students also attend school according to the year they were born and not according to their age. If you were born in 2015 for example, you belong to Nursery 1, regardless of the month you were born in. 

I was the smallest in class.

                                                                          My last day to wear this blue sailor uniform

Saying goodbye to Ms. Jaculin, my Nursery 1 Teacher at Starland

Teacher's comment made my Mama and Dada's day!

I used to frown on parents who post their children's report cards in social media to show off the excellent grades. Now, I understand why they do. It just feels great to know that your child is performing well in school. I am excited for his Nursery 2 classes!















No comments:

Post a Comment