Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Good Things Come in Threes



When I was growing up in my small and sleepy hometown, I would often wonder why our town mayor would always be invited in weddings. Not only that, he would also often sit as one of the principal sponsors or ninongs. In my young mind, I thought it was mandatory to invite the mayor in all the townfolks' weddings.

When I became an adult, I realized that the ninong and ninang are there to serve as the pricincipal witnesses of one's wedding. After all, they are the ones who sign in one's marriage certificate, not the couple's parents or siblings. They also serve as second parents and role models to the newlyweds.

When husband and I planned our wedding, we both agreed that we shall only have three pairs of principal sponsors. Because really, why have a dozen pairs when you barely know them and their marriages are not even worthy of being emulated? It was not so difficult for me to pick those who will serve as our godparents. I personally know the two ninangs and ninongs while husband personally picked the other pair.

Since today is our 3rd wedding anniversary, I would like to give tribute to our three pairs of ninongs and ninangs.

1) Dr. Victoria Albacete


Maam Vicky was my drama teacher back in my senior year in college. When I started teaching at WVSU, we became officemates and very good friends. As I was just a new faculty member then, I appreciated her listening to my lovelife woes and to my personal struggles. I look up to her because she is steadfast in her faith, committed to her family, and managed to grow in her career despite having two young children. She and her husband may have had challenges, but she is always calm and poised - an epitome of grace under pressure. I'll always keep in my mind what she told me - to rest my soul in Jesus because His love is constant. Thank you, Maam Vicky for always keeping us in your praying heart.

2) Dr. Eleonora Padilla



Maam Boging was my teacher in several of my major subjects in college. Most of my classmates who became teachers themselves would always give credit to Maam Boging for inspiring them to take the path of the noble profession. I was one of those who was inspired, too. It was always interesting to listen to her stories and her generosity knows no bounds. We were welcome to barge into her office and into her home anytime of the day. Her marriage and family life reflect the kind of person she is - warm, welcoming, and inspiring. Thank you, Maam Bogs for your kind words and gentle reminders during our wedding day. Please continue to be an inspiration to your students and may you have many more couples to serve as ninang to.

3) Dr. Daisy Altamera


Doc Daisy is the reason why husband has a nakakasilaw smile. She is a dentist by profession, and she has been taking care of husband's teeth ever since he was still in diapers. I have heard about her humble beginnings, and it is inspiring to see her now - a flourishing dental clinic as well as a successful mother of three grown-up children who are also making a name for themselves. Thank you, Tita Ninang for honoring our wedding with your presence and of course, for giving husband his shining molars.

*I have decided to use the Ninangs' professional titles to remind myself that these women I look up to were able to juggle motherhood, family life, and career.

Now on to the Ninongs...

1) Engr. Randy Rabe


Ninong Randy and wife, Irish's love story is something hopeless romantics would love to listen to. It reminds me to never give up and to pursue someone who is worth pursuing. He flew all the way from Singapore to stand as our ninong on our wedding day. We really appreciate it. Ninang Irish couldn't make it because she was pregnant with their second baby then. They now have three beautiful sons, by the way. As for their love story, you just have to ask them yourself about how they ended up together. Thank you, Ninong Randy for the generosity of your time, for your kindness to Axe (when he was still a Totoy) and for your gift of friendship.

2) President Carlos P. Garcia


I would like to say that Sir Caloy was the father I never had. We met as readers in the Lector's Ministry of St. Clement's more than 6 years ago. When I was troubled at work or when I had to make a tough decision, I would consult him and he would always be generous of his time. I remember asking him about a guy I just met whom I was attracted to and how anxious I was about my feelings (I'm referring to husband, of course). His kind words made me feel confident after. Thank you, Ninong Caloy for never failing to listen to me and for believing in what I can do. 

*I am not joking about his President title because once upon a time, he served as the President of our Lector's Ministry. And yes, his complete name is really Carlos P. Garcia.

3) Freedom Father Pol Espanola


Ninong Pol and I met at the Toastmasters Club Iloilo Chapter. I remember vividly about one topic where he was asked about marriage. He claimed to be someone who was not such a good speaker, but when he talked about his marriage, he was confident, spontaneous, and downright funny. I was single then, but when he ended his speech, I told myself that that's just the kind of marriage that I want for myself. Ninong Pol, aka TM Pol also likes to call himself Freedom Father because he advocates financial freedom and financial literacy which he has successfully promoted. We followed his advice of not buying a car nor a house. Why does he give this kind of advice? Ask him yourself. He is very much accommodating when you have questions about money and investments. Thank you, Ninong Pol for that wide smile and for that Ninongly advice you gave on our wedding day (you always rock as a public speaker). 


Thank you, Ninongs and Ninangs for accepting our invitation of being our principal sponsors. We look up to you not just because your marriages are worth emulating but also because individually, you rock!

So, to those who are getting hitched and are planning their entourage list, don't include someone as your principal sponsor just because he/she is your mom's bestfriend, your baptism godparent, or God forbid, your town mayor! Choose someone you know personally and someone you could look up to in your marriage. 





1 comment:

  1. Thank you Hijada Van for the tribute.

    I can't recall what I said that made you decide mine is just the kind of marriage that you want for yourself. But I always have in mind the advice I gave you and Aki on your wedding day (now reminding you, and myself!) that "Marriage is a Great Sacrifice" as your spouse is the Cross that you will Carry to Death. I am confident and spontaneous every time I say that and people feel it is scary. But you find me downright funny?! I'd like to believe that you say I always rock as a public speaker ha ha!

    With my warmest regards and best wishes to you and Aki for a lifelong, joyful and abundant marriage. God bless your family.

    Love,
    Ninong Pol

    ReplyDelete