Friday, May 15, 2015

Conversations with Strangers

I have never considered myself a good conversationalist. I usually keep my thoughts to myself when I'm surrounded by people I have just met, and to be honest, when I think the person I'm dealing with isn't worth my time, I'll keep my mouth shut for the entire time that we're together. So, these two out of the blue conversations I had with strangers I met today and yesterday are something worth mentioning here because I don't usually warm up to people that fast.

Yesterday, I was at the bank for a transaction and while waiting for my turn (I waited for almost 20 minutes), the girl behind the desk where I was seated struck up a conversation with me. She first started by asking how many months I was in my pregnancy and if I could answer a survey. She's the sales manager of the bank's insurance and investment, so after I was done answering she introduced some of their products. We talked about the nature of what she was trying to sell me, about the best banks in the country, about the best hospitals in Iloilo, and many other things. I learned that she used to be a medical representative and that she's just 2 months on her job as the sales rep of the bank. I emphatically listened to her as she poured out that she's still adjusting because the transition from a travelling job to a desk job wasn't that easy. I was just sitting there, but somehow I felt that I made her feel better by allowing her to express her feelings. When my transaction was done and when I was about to leave the bank, she waved at me. I waved back, and I felt a certain kinship with her. I didn't get her name. Hmmm... perhaps I could give a her a fan (she commented that my fan was cute).

Today, I went to the restroom in Quezon Hall, and I passed by a pregnant woman. She looked serious, but upon seeing my tummy she smiled at me, so I smiled back. After relieving myself, I went out to get some fresh air, and I was surprised that the pregnant woman struck up a conversation with me. She started by asking (also) how many months I was, and the rest of our conversation pretty much stayed on the topic of our respective pregnancies. Again, a complete stranger poured out to me her feelings. She said she was elated when she learned that she was pregnant because she waited for 7 years for it. She took numerous vitamins and endless visits to the doctor because both she and her husband had fertility problems. It became frustrating for her that she decided to take the medications for a year. After the medication hiatus, she went back to her doctor because of a breast lump. She was scheduled to have a mammogram, but the technician said she had to be sure she's not pregnant before she goes under the exam. So she went home and took a pregnancy test the next day. She had taken pregnancy tests about a hundred times for the last 7 years, each time giving her a single negative line, so how could this one be any different? But the pregnancy test turned out positive and now she's 8 months on the way with a baby boy. I am happy for her, and when we were about to go back to our respective rooms, I bid her a good and healthy pregnancy. Again, there was that kinship feeling with a complete stranger. But I got her name this time. Thank you, Ella for that warm conversation.

I make a good conversation topic


One's pregnancy could really be a good conversation starter. Sometimes, conversations with strangers are better because probably there aren't any prejudice and feelings of uneasiness or insecurity that will make one shy or afraid of opening up. I guess our parents are wrong when they warned, "Don't talk to strangers"?

Because I'm a good listener



No comments:

Post a Comment