Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Commercialized Birthday

You only turn twenty-seven once so you might as well make the most of it. Victoria Beckham celebrated her 30th birthday thrice! I'd rather talk about what happened on the day I turned 27 (yesterday) than what happened today (many more of my students greeted me still but it wasn't such a productive day).

After that Tubungan trip I went back to school and my students surprised me with a cake and a birthday poster. Though none of my travelling companions knew that I turned a year older, I was still grateful that a few strangers greeted me yesterday.

At around 4 PM I attended mass at St. Clement's and bought some groceries in Gaisano City. When the cashier swiped my valuecard she immediately greeted me a happy birthday! For dinner I treated my friend in Green Mango. Always an exuberant and loud person (she's a kindergarten teacher) she requested the waiter and staff to put a candle on my dessert which was actually just a slice of Heaven's Torte. Four people then proceeded to sing me a "too" loud rendition of "Happy Birthday." I was embarrassed yet pleased. After dinner, we checked out some DVDs in Video City. While rummaging through some movies, a Happy Birthday song was played in the store. I shyly looked at the two staff and they gave me a knowing smile. Talk about strangers making you smile.

If turning 27 is as delightful as this I won't mind turning 27 everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment