Monday, December 3, 2018

Mommy Hacks


About Me:
1. I am a housewife and a full-time Mom to two young children ages 3-years-old and 10-months-old.
2. Our family of four is based in Singapore.
3. My husband works full-time.
4. We have no helper.
5. My 3-year-old attends a morning Nursery class (9 AM-12 NN).

So you see, my hands are always full. I have been a full-time mom for almost two years now. It is hard, yes. But along the way, you get to learn how to be efficient and make the most of what you have. Here are some of the mommy hacks that I have learned. They are efficient and cost-saving. If you are a mommy and are reading this, I hope they will work for you, too.

1. Use a powerful hose/bidet to get rid of nasty poop from cloth diapers.

Bambam uses cloth diapers during daytime and switches to disposable diapers at night. 

Peek-a-boo!

My life practically changed when I discovered this (no kidding!) Before I had this eureka moment, I would handwash the cloth diapers to get rid of the nasty and sticky stools. It was tedious, and I could only do it at night when the children are asleep. Now, I just place the diaper at the toilet, and with proper aim shoot the stools away with my power gun. You can use either a bidet or a hose. This one takes a bit of practice, though.

2. Let your children take a bath/shower together.

It amuses my boy to see that his sister does not have a penis. 

I find that it saves me time when my two children take a shower together. It also saves water! I usually put the younger one in the tub, shower her, then the older hops in the tub, too. I soap them together, but the younger one is towel dried first. I then take out the princess for a change with all the girly rituals, while I leave the prince in the tub to play. When I'm done with the baby girl, I bring out the boy to be dried and to be changed.


3. Make biscuits out of Cerelac.

rice cereal biscuits made from Cerelac

mushy insides!

My cute food taster loves her home-made biscuits!

After every visit from our pediatrician, we go home with several packets of Cerelac. I am no fan of pre-packed foods for my little ones, but I also do not want to throw away the Cerelac. I thought why not make biscuits out of them instead? Here is the link of the recipe that I used for my biscuits: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/baby-cereal-cookies-104405

4. Save cartons and boxes to be used for art and crafts.

Use the back part of your boxes to let your toddler write or draw whatever he wants.

IKEA garbage bin box turned into a robot head

box of a pot turned as a canvas

My sister who is a preschool teacher actually taught me this one. Instead of throwing cartons from packages and boxes of your groceries, you can actually turn them into something creative for your  children. You can do many things with them: turn them as a canvas or drawing paper, cut them out, turn them into forts, make costumes out of them, etc. After your little one is done using the packages, you can simply throw them in the recycling bin

5. Make your own claydough.


blue clay

clay in primary colors of blue, red, and yellow

If stored properly, they can last up to 6 months. 

Can you guess what this is?

I learned this one from my Early Childhood Education class (thank you, Maam Jade and Sir Art!). I am sharing their recipe for homemade clay dough: 

Materials
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup salt
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
Food coloring
Saucepan
1 cup flour
Directions
1. Combine water, oil, salt, cream of tartar, and food coloring in a saucepan and heat until warm.
2. Remove from heat and add flour.
3. Stir, then knead until smooth. The cream of tartar makes this dough last 6 months or longer, so resist the temptation to omit this ingredient if you don't have it on hand.
4. Store this dough in an airtight container or a Ziploc freezer bag.

6. Make your own fingerpaint.

Primary colors

Van Gogh, is that you?

Oh, it's Thirdy the artist!

Don't forget to hang their masterpieces!

Again, I got this recipe from my ECE teachers, Maam Jade and Sir Art. This fingerpaint is safe for your children as the ingredients are food-based. Your children can even help you prepare the paint.

Materials:
2 cups white flour
2 cups cold water
Food coloring or tempera color

Directions:
1. Pour the water into a large bowl; add the flour slowly stirring constantly.
2. Stir until it is totally smooth, divide into smaller bowls or muffin pan and add food coloring or tempera colors. 

7. Take a nap with your children.

I love my cuddles with these little ones.

Cute babies, eh? They can make you lose your sleep. 

That's my place there between them. 

Every parenting article and baby book I came across seem to give the same advice: Sleep when your baby is asleep (especially when you have a newborn). I never took this advice to heart because really, why would you sleep when you still have laundry to wash and a demanding toddler to attend to? But this is one practical advice that every mom should try to do. Moms are more recharged when they take a nap, hence have more energy to take care of their babies and do household chores. I sometimes do not get lucky with this as there are times when they do not take a nap at the same schedule.

8. Make your own baby wipes.

Credit to the owner of this photo

I actually no longer keep baby wipes as I can now directly wash my daughter's bum with water. But when she was a newborn, I prepared my own baby wipes because I find commercial wipes too wet for its purpose. And it's actually cheaper if you prepare your own. All you need are paper towels (do not use the regular bathroom tissue), baby liquid soap, baby oil, and virgin coconut oil. Here's the video link of a more detailed procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1yL3ZTSWFo

9. Try baby-led weaning.
Bam knew how to chew at 7 months.

starter pack for BLW

It could get messy. 

But your little one will be introduced to different colors, tastes, and textures...

Baby-led weaning (BLW) is the opposite of  traditionally starting your child on solid foods. Instead of offering babies (around 6 months) mashed and pureed foods as their first solids, BLW encourages giving of finger foods right away. This may seem like a drastic move as babies at this age do not have teeth yet and there is the danger of choking, but BLW makes a lot of sense when you want your child to grow up as a happy, confident, and adventurous eater. I intend to write a separate post about BLW in the future, but for now, all I want to say is that BLW has made my life easier as I do not have to prepare pureed baby foods.

10. Maintain a manageable, fuss-free, and low-maintenance hairstyle.

My little princess, Bambam

My little prince, Thirdy

In short, maintain a short hairdo! When you have two young children, having a pixie cut saves you a lot of time and effort. On mornings where we all rush to get Thirdy to school, I do not have to brush and tie my hair. Babies like pulling hair, so I am saved from Bambam's curious little fingers. With a short haircut, I also do not need to spend much on shampoo and conditioner nor do I need to go on trips to the salon. Plus, this haircut suits me just fine.

Although my husband works full-time, he does most of the cooking and is always a great Dad to our little ones. Maybe next time he can write about his daddy hacks.




6 comments:

  1. I love reading this... Maan Van thanks for this. I wanna apply some of these sooon��
    Hopefully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maam Ters, are you getting married?! Update me with your lovelife, pleeeeease! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for these, Maam Van! Especially the DIY clay. hehe. We buy play-doh for yui but sometimes I can’t keep up with putting them away right after she plays with it that it gets dry and we have to buy new ones ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yui is such a cutie. The clay recipe here is good for 6 months. You also have to store it back in a Ziplock or it will harden. But of course, you can make new ones again and again because the ingredients are cheap anyway. :-)

      Delete
  3. Superb Mom and Writer..Good job dear..

    ReplyDelete